Monday, February 20, 2006

Sometimes a song captures my emotions in a way that is so powerful, that it demands my total attention ... then it carries me along for a journey. "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel just did that to me last Saturday. I know this song isn't new, but I only knew it from the movie Say Anything. I heard the live version on the radio, and man, it took me AWAY somewhere. Now, this is before I actually paid much attention to the lyrics ... it was just the rhythms, feel and performance that killed me. Now I've read the lyrics and I'm slayed all over again.

It is wonderful, almost magic that a song can do this to me. I'm going to try and find some part to play so I can play along with it at home. In the process of dissecting and formulating a part it will lose the magic. I'll have technical issues, stickings to master, etc. But I hope that I get all the way through that to play with skill and let the emotion return. That's THE BEST. The committment is not a small one, and it remains to be seen if my resolve is strong enough to really do it. It is so much easier just to listen.

I hope every one gets the chance to feel these emotions in real life - not from a song, but from the eyes of the one.

7 Comments:

Blogger Stef said...

I can't help but picture Lloyd holding that boombox over his head when I hear that song...ahhh....

It is a tremendous song as well, good luck with your rendition; as long as you feel it, to hell with what everyone else thinks!

1:35 PM  
Blogger Bleach said...

Peter Gabriel has a lot of good stuff. I have just recently found this out.

11:26 AM  
Blogger goostermon said...

Yesterday, while under the spell of "In Your Eyes" I got on half.com and bought the live concert for like $9.00. I can't wait to watch it. Brad you can come over - stef, you can come too, if you like!

1:29 PM  
Blogger fooiemcgoo said...

this is a truly great song. i wish i could experiece it like you.

how does music writing work? does everyone write their own part? if so, who goes 1st?

3:02 PM  
Blogger goostermon said...

Fooie ...
I'm sure you have experienced a song like I described ... maybe you just don't think of it like that. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it is cool. I even have songs that I am about 90% sure will do it every time I hear it. "In Your Eyes" is one of those.

As to writing songs .... it happens as many different ways as there are writiers .... but the most common ways are:

A guitar, keyboard or other instrument "riff" (like the beginning of "Satisfaction") gets the ball rolling. Lyrics are added later.

A particular lyric or poem begins the process.

Sometimes a band just jams until something cool happens spontaneously. Then they stop, talk and work it into a song.

Sometimes everyone comes up with their own parts, sometimes a single composer writes everything and then gets other people to play it (like a songwriter using a drum machine and then playing it for a drummer and saying "play that").

A better person to ask is Kev, Tara's husband and co-founder of the Palo Pinto House Pants House Band - Brad's cousin and her husband. While I know how many people do it, he actually does it (along with Tara). Go here and post a question:
http://housepants.blogspot.com/

I believe that life in greatly enriched by playing an instrument and I recommend it to all. It definately changes how you listen to music. Go play something. Hurry up!

9:27 AM  
Blogger fooiemcgoo said...

okay! geeze!
......
okay... I have a tamborine right here. now what?

No, I get lost in certain songs sometimes. I can't think of any right now. I wish I could.

Thanks for the schooling on music writing. What you said made alot of sense.

I will visit that blog.

10:53 AM  
Blogger fooiemcgoo said...

i think the song everlong by foofighters gives me a good feeling like this.

the end

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home